Saturday 16 March 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful 2013 4*


Teaser 4* Good, not great. Feels true as prequel to Baum's books.

I expected too much, had a ball anyway at early birthday present. My first cinema visit in ten years, may color following review. Initial sight of Oz world reminded me too much of 2" screen on Nintendo DS game graphics. Tiny biting river fairies tempt magician, also named Oz (James Franco) by drumming first half of recognizable rhythm, but ohh, don't finish the beat or you'll be sorry (spoiler?)

The crystal emerald garden has flowers with ruby centers = staggering. Running along narrow rockways obviously green-screen, but scares all the tots sitting at the front of the theater. Why piffle when effects work? We <b>are</b> in a magical land.

Huge melting dark eyes (like Shrek Puss in Boots), luscious soft kissable lips, lush womanly curves (no skeleton models, skull faces here), topped by velvety red giant hat and jacket, over black leather pants hugging trim fit figure .. Princess Theodora (Mila Kunis) is The Most Gorgeous. The evil brunette duo, Princess Evanora (Rachel Weisz) shoot over the top of the beauty scale. Glinda (Michelle Williams), Oz constantly calls her Wanda, is uglified by a fake streaky bleach blonde, frozen stiff wig-like head. Ick. I don't get why she plays Annie back in Kansas, too, the echoing later of characters.

Oz lets down the first crying girl who cannot walk, but gets another chance to help Megan, from China Town, actually a village. Megan seems set to return. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_Oz:_Dorothy's_Return

My favorite lines are (roughly) "I like green", "Let's go kill a witch", "Everything in good time .. and a good time in everything". Weak script.

Ever since Kermit the Frog muppet said "It's not easy being green", I wear my Kermie brooch with pride. March 17 Saint Patrick's Day always brings out my red-haired gran's Irish heritage.

Granny Maybelle's aunts boasted of the family castle in Ireland. When I toured the shamrock shores, I saw "castles" of round two-story abodes, one family room atop the livestock barn at ground level. As far as the eye could see from the upper "first" (second in NA) floor, the "Laird" ruled over stony fields.

I was so happy to see some of the credits, but did not recognize them later, maybe the disguise of flying monkey bellhop? Frank/ Finley (Zach Braff). Winkie Gate Keeper (Bruce Campbell).

I like green.

No comments:

Post a Comment